Good afternoon GardaWorld YYC workers,
We are reaching out today to let you know that this coming week we will be hosting more drop-in meeting. We strongly encourage you to stop in and say hi and if you can, bring a co-worker.
Location: Calgary Airport Marriott In-Terminal Airport, Stratus A Room
- Tues., Feb. 15: 10:00–20:00 (10 a.m.–8 p.m.)
- Wed., Feb. 16: 10:00–17:00 (10 a.m.–5 p.m.)
We also wanted to give you a few quick updates.
- Benefits Coverage: if you missed our email on benefits coverage should you choose to join Unifor, please take a look here: https://join.unifor.org/benefits_coverage_with_unifor. We are going to bring you forward, not backward.
- Union Dues: Union dues are set at 1.35% of your gross monthly income, whether you work part-time or full-time. This means for full-time workers would pay dues on your regular full-time hours and for part-time workers they would pay dues only on the hours worked up to the full time equivalent. Language premiums or bonuses and overtime are not included in this calculation and you do not pay dues when you are off on WCB, leave of absence, maternity or parental leave, or sick leave. There is also no initiation fee for any member.
- Unifor Steward Training: Unifor offers a full set of labour education courses through our Education Department both locally, online and at our fully contained Family Education Facility in Port Eglin, Ontario. The courses are typically offered in 1, 3, and 5 day formats depending on the topic. This is important because it ensures that our members in elected positions, stewards and otherwise, have access to the training they need to assist all members Our training programs are offered with lost time provisions, meaning if any member accesses training, they are not going to be asked to pay any portion of the costs or lose wages. To learn more about Unifor Education visit here: https://www.unifor.org/resources/education
- Collective Agreement Language: We were recently made aware of a timeliness issue with CLAC on dealing with bonuses and bonus payout. While it is our belief they finally rectified the situation, we want to assure you that with Unifor we will act promptly. Should you choose us to represent you, we will seek to close grey areas around bonuses and the payout timeline to ensure you are paid promptly and not in a fashion that force you to pay more tax. We want represent your interests, not those of GardaWorld or CATSA.
- Union Card Signing and Collection: We are continuing to sign union cards both in-person and electronically. We have heard from many asking about when the vote will be. We are not there yet, but we are getting very close. We need your support to ensure that we can not only apply to the labour board but also win the vote. You are our most important resource in ensuring success. We will be present next week at the times above, but we can be arrange a time outside of those to provide and receive physical union cards and of course, the easiest route is to sign the electronic union cards through the link below. We will get to a vote, but we need your support to do so.
Electronic Union Card Link: https://join.unifor.org/gardacard
Also wanted to let you know that if you missed any of our previous emails, please feel free to check them our here.
Look forward to connecting soon,
Justin & Bruce
Justin Gniposky // Unifor National Representative // [email protected] // 416-275-6389
Bruce Fafard //Unifor National Representative // [email protected] // 587-341-0945